Contact advertising [email protected]

PC I want build a cheap HTPC so I looked up i7 prices on NewEgg today. 8700K = $349,...

B

Blake Charles

I want build a cheap HTPC so I looked up i7 prices on NewEgg today. 8700K = $349, 7700k = $309, 6700k = $359... I expected the gen 6 and 7 CPUs to be cheaper, but they don't appear to be. WTF???

S

Shane Anderson

The motherboard is where you will save.

P

Patrick Seguin

Sounds about right but when I did my build, I found better prices on Amazon than New Egg.

N

Nathan G Anderson

Paid 280 for my 7700k at Microcenter

N

Nathan G Anderson

Shit even 4790s are over 300 on Amazon

A

Andrew Smith

The 8700k was more than that around christmas due to shortages upon release. I still went for it though. The 6 and 7700k is still a super solid choice for OC and gaming, so that's probably why they're still able to wax people. That and supply still being relatively low.

A

Armando Chavarri

You can roll with an I5 8600k coffee lake and be as fast as a I7 7700k kaby lake and save a bunch of money..

A

Armando Chavarri

A

Armando Chavarri

And you get a free razer gaming keyboard...

B

Blake Charles

my kids will not notice the difference. I figured if I got an older CPU, then I could also get an i7 if it was cheaper... but its not... smh

C

Carlos Alberto Martinez

My local micro center was selling 6700ks for like 200ish the other week. Look up /r/hardwareswap great place for 2nd hand parts at great prices

B

Blake Charles

I was thinking about parting-out my workstation to do 2 builds for my kids.

C

Carlos Alberto Martinez

Just got for 8700k I scored those parts for 450. It's mega worth it.

B

Blake Charles

WHAT'S IT WORTH (my workstation)? MSI x99 raider mobo, Xeon E5-2690-v3 2.6gz 12c/24t CPU, 64GB Corsair DDR4, 2x MSI GTX 1070's x (not shown), NZXT Kraken cooler, Antec P380 case, Corsair 850w PSU, 2x Samsung Evo 250gb, mellanox 10gb NIC, 802.11ac TPLink card, 4x 4TB HGST Enterprise drives.

B

Blake Charles

pic does not show all parts

E

Eastend Swishyy

Go i5, I have a 6600k and it's quite good

J

John Hwe

Second i5... no idea why you would say 'cheap' and want an i7 for 'just' a htpc that wont utilize multitasking much

J

John Hwe

A htpc utilizes mainly the graphics card for video rendering. I use jriver to upscale 1080p to 4k which uses high quality madVR video rendering. Much better than any 'in tv/blu ray player' upscaling.

B

Blake Charles

Never mind best practices... I’m hard on CPUs...

E

Eastend Swishyy

He's right the case is also a big part of what makes it a htpc. Trust me on the the unlocked i5s they far from being dates anytime soon

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom