Contact advertising [email protected]

PC not booting at all, tried various troubleshooting, and about to breadbox it, but I...

P

Pieter Verwindt

PC not booting at all, tried various troubleshooting, and about to breadbox it, but I fear I may have a DOA new board or DOA PSU. No matter what variation I try system and PSU fan do not turn on, but Mobo receives power as it's LEDs turn on, and my GPU shows a power light as well, all fans are connected, only running USB, hdaudio, and USB 3 connectors, CPU, GPU, and RAM are all properly seated, I'm at a loss.

I feel like the issue is with the PWR SWTCH, PLED, and HDDLED, but again I've tried multiple variations, and everything online states these connectors are horizontal, but I've tried vertical and horizontal.

Here's the most recent variation, I'm derping and probably missing something basic

N

Nick McCann

When you press the power button what happens

P

Pieter Verwindt

Nothing PSU fan doesn't spin, CPU, case fans do not engage the only thing. The board LED, and GPU LED all light up though. The power button doesn't light up at all. I'm at a loss really, because the board is getting power, but nothing is turning on. I'm going to breadbox it soon with my old PSU, but that may have to wait until tomorrow after work.

I just don't get it, this happened once with my old computer, but all I did was switch around the pwr switch cables, pled cables, and HDD LED cables and it was fine. Doesn't seem to solve the problem in this case though :/

R

Riley Branson

Double check all powerbuttons on the correct set of pins, i think your psu is fine if leds are coming up, theres a way to test youre psu but its the last thing id recommend at this stage. Try unplugging and replugging the 24pin connector, the 8pin cpu, and while your add it, ram. It wont be ram because mobo would atleast post then give you an error code if it was the ram. If none of that helps, fully disconnect the psu from everything, plug in 1x 4pin molex fan and then use the paperclip trick. You must not have the psu connected to anything else other than that case fan because you can damage your gpu, cpu, or mobo. Now get a paperclip, cut of just the end so you have like a lil U shape. Make sure your psu is off first. then plug one end where the green cable is and then another with any black cable is. This will tell the psu to turn on providing that the switch on the back is on. Now you can control the psu with the button on the back. Plug psu into the wall and torn on the switch. If the case fan turns and your psu fan starts to turn, you have power, if not you have something wrong with your psu. If you don't have a single green cable on your 24pin, sometimes its a grey cable, but you can look up the 24pin diagram online. Technically you can test the psu without using a case fan, but its always best to have atleast some form of load on the psu when its running. Especially when some psu's fan dont run until like 50% or more power usage.

R

Riley Branson

Double check your powerconnectors. Reconsult the mobo manual for pin diagran. It doesnt look like its connected properly. I highly doubt its your psu.

R

Riley Branson

Have you tried turning on with screw driver on the power pins? Maybe faulty power button?

P

Pieter Verwindt

Yeah I reseated and reset CMOS battery, Fuck me this doesn't end, got it up and running Windows, shut it down to do a clean install with new board drivers, now the fans run full tilt on the GPU, and the system is not loading again, in a fun new development, there is a red light on in the motherboard. This time the cables are connected properly, how did it now go from running windows, to GPU fans going full tilt and now not even so much as a post or OS

I think the board may be giving issues, which sucks because my last board was faulty

M

Matthew Hunt

I have a dumb question. Does your case have motherboard standoffs?

K

Khumbolawo Mussa

And this is why the "build a PC!" advice might be overstated

R

Riley Branson

yeah. that's why I say, build a pc, and if you haven't done it before and don't know how to, get someone to help you (in my case I'm usually referring to myself), but if its people online, I don't even bother, to much hassle...

P

Pieter Verwindt

Problem solved

J

James Dun-It Denham

What was it?

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom