Contact advertising [email protected]

Whats a registry edit key that will disable Windows updates for Windows 10 Home?...

J

John Sun

Whats a registry edit key that will disable Windows updates for Windows 10 Home?
Recently the Creators update was pushed on me with along with a GPU update and a program called the "update assistant".
I usually have updates off by disabling and stopping the Windows update service, but it seems like something keeps turning it back to Manual start at 10PM.

I've tried turning off the triggers for Windows update in task scheduler, but it hasn't worked.
I've tried the AUOptions with a Dword value of 2 as well, but it still goes back to manual stop even after I've stopped it.

Appreciate any help anyone can offer.

M

Margarito Ayala

Go to search and type services, then scroll down to windows updates and choose stop, disable.

J

John Sun

Yes, Ive done that, and it keeps going back onto manual start every day at 10PM for some reason

M

Michael Searle

If the update is already running when you do this it won’t stop it. Will need to open Task Manager and stop and disable the windows update in the “services” tab.

M

Michael Searle

Go into internet setting and turn the “metered connection” tab on and windows won’t update anymore. You can still choose to update if wanted. But unless 100% needed for windows to run any other updates won’t ever start.

J

John Sun

If I turn on metered connection, what other things will it affect apart from windows update?

M

Michael Searle

^The 2 comments above are wrong way around. Grabbed them from another post I commented on

M

Michael Searle

As far as I’ve found... nothing

J

John Sun

I found a scheduled task under update orchestrator, and it was doing a windows update scan every day around 10PM, and Ive deleted that task.
I think that's what keeps turning the windows update service back on manual around 10PM every night.

J

John Sun

Ive heard of the metered connection fix, but im worried if it will affect things other than windows update.

M

Michael Searle

Yeah I was worried about the day thing, eg slowing gaming connection. So any info people have will be great. But as yet, it hasn’t affected mine.

M

Michael Searle

You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

M

Michael Searle

You made me want to find out, not a bad read about it

M

Margarito Ayala

Oh also I haven't tried it on Win 10 yet but on Win 7 to stop the automatic updates. I had to go to services and turn off BITS and Window's Updates. Then I had to go to control panel, security and go into the check for updates, advanced settings I believe and where it showed time scheduled. To check for updates I turned it off so then it won't check for them. Restarted the computer and nice my Win Updates was stopped and disabled . Along with BITS, by having those off. That deduced my cpu usage and ram usage, that's why I always disable them on Win 7. Win 10 I can turn off BITS w/o turning off Win Updates.

J

John Sun

Oh.... thats right. I forgot about this... Im ethernet only :/ So I can't do metered connection on the Anniversary update.
My PC doesn't even have wifi

M

Mathew Green

If you can edit you local group policy, you can disable it that way as well.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom