Contact advertising [email protected]

WHAT HAPPENED TO ADVANCEMENTS IN GAME ENGINES ETC? My biggest issues are the huge...

T

Tefen Ca

WHAT HAPPENED TO ADVANCEMENTS IN GAME ENGINES ETC?

My biggest issues are the huge lack or backwards in engine innovation. Games like Red Fraction saw GEO-Mod technology where parts of the map were destructible which you don't really see used anymore in modern games. Soldier of Fortune 2 had similar tech with the body parts so you could shoot or cut off different parts of the body to make it more realistic which you don't see in any of the mainstream shooter games these days. They are more concerned with appealing to parents accepting their young children playing the game so they can have more customers & sales then making a good or realistic game. Another good example is Quake 3's mod Urban Terror(of which I used to run UrbanTerror.ca) which had/has a bleed out/bandage feature & many body part hit markers that cause different amounts of damage & amount+location of bleeding out from. If you get shot in the leg or damage them from landing from too high up then you limp around and walk slower. All these are key advancements that should be seen in today's top titles like Call of Duty or Battlefield yet you don't see them. Even things like being able to lean left/right or roll on the ground etc. that was in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter you don't see in modern top games. The only feature I can think of that finally got put back into a game is the lean left/right in Play Unknown Battle Grounds.

J

Juliano Reis

Rainbow Six Siege also has leaning, but that has nothing to do with "advancements". It has to do with game design. There's no point in leaning in a fast-paced game like the new Doom, for instance, but Wolfenstein's destructible environments make good use of it.
The thing is that those features you described cost lots of money to make. I can't even begin to imagine the kind of hell that would be to model a face with the standards we see in games today and make it destructible like they did in SoF2. Most developers/publishers nowadays focus on staying afloat, and for that they need money. There's no money in pursuing those sorts of techs. Carvable faces don't sell anymore.

P

Patrick Thomas

Firsty, all the features you mention can be done with most modern engines. Heck the features you mention are done on ooold versions of existing engines (s.o.f. uses the quake engine for eg.).
You seem to be mistaking an engine for what developers do with that engine. Engines have made massive advances in recent years. Theyre capable of damn near anything. The big difference I think is that gaming is maturing and there's not much call for these sorts of gimmicks any more.
You're also mistaken about developers worrying about what parents think and shaping their games to be kid friendly.
For one thing, the biggest market is 18-35 year olds. That's where the money is. Also, a lot of parents of these young kids *also* buy and play games. Kids games sales make up maybe %10.

Want features in a game? Then make it :)
There's an abundance of free open source engines out there that can do all you've mentioned and so much more. Even game creating packages have engines that are more than capable.
And then there's the modern commercial engines which are so, so, so much more than even that and typically will get released once the developers new engine is released.

L

Lee Fu Haw

I guess the only game that i know of having such feature is fallout series. Whatever you point to any body part, it deliver different damage.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom