Contact advertising [email protected]

The X-Files: Gillian Anderson Explains Why She's Done With Scully After Season 11

News

Staff member
As the
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.
approached, star Gillian Anderson gave interviews that seemed to hint she was ready to leave the series and the character Dana Scully, which she first started playing in 1993. Now the actress has not only confirmed that this is the end of the line for her on The X-Files, but she has shut down the notion of returning at any point in the future.

Speaking at the Television Critics Association winter press tour, Anderson says, "I arrived at the decision before we did the previous six." Initially, the actress didn't know that there would be life beyond
beyond one season and was prepared to finish up her role as Scully. However, she credits creator Chris Carter for her returning once again. "I think as Chris has said himself, that short stack of episodes kind of felt like we were learning how to walk again and that this season of 10 [episodes] is that the pace is up and we're running."

Now, though, she's ready to move onto other projects and close the book on her X-Files run. "There's lots of things that I want to do in my life and in my career," Anderson says. "It's been an extraordinary opportunity and an extraordinary character." She adds, "It's time for me to hang up Scully's hat, it just is."

As for whether all of the story threads involving Scully will be wrapped up, executive producer Glen Morgan teases, "Some of those questions will be answered, some won't because that's the way this show is."

Just because Anderson is leaving doesn't necessarily mean The X-Files has to end, though. While Carter has said he doesn't have much interest in making a version of the show without Scully, Duchovny points out that it is possible. "The X-Files is a frame," he says.

It's true the framework of the show, which finds federal agents investigating extraterrestrials and government conspiracies, could be replicated with new agents. What remains to be seen is whether that would interest Carter enough for him to return or if Fox could find a suitable replacement for Mulder and Scully.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom