Contact advertising [email protected]

Okay guys, here's a problem for you. I recently built a system using the Ryzen 1950X...

C

Chris D. Gardner

Okay guys, here's a problem for you. I recently built a system using the Ryzen 1950X threadripper. I'm using the Asus Rog Zenith x399 motherboard. I had 32gb of corsair memory, 8 x 4m 3200 mhz. The system has worked fine for a couple of weeks. I decided to add another 32gb of memory (exact same make and configuration.) The system would start and immediately shut down. Start and shut down. I pulled out the four new sticks, and the problem still persists! I'm thinking that one of the new sticks is bad, but now I'm wondering if the motherboard was damaged in some way by a faulty memory stick. Any suggestions? I also took some memory from a previous build that was all good, put one stick in, and everything worked fine. When adding other sticks to get it back up to 32gb, the system went to its on/off routine again. I'm puzzled.

R

Richard Sanders

same brand of of memory?

R

Richard Sanders

try the extra new stick on its own

A

Abdul Hafiz

Did you updated your BIOS?

J

Joel Bailey

I would suggest trying each stick in each slot. Time consuming yes, but had a similar issue with mine, where I had 3200mhz ram and only one stick would work in a certain slot until I manually changed the ram frequency in the bios. Then added the other stick in and worked fine.

C

Chris D. Gardner

I'm going to be away from this post for a while. I appreciate all of your suggestions and help!

J

Jonas Stankevičius

Is it like on a restart loop? Had same problem, found out the psu went out

D

Dustin Chamberlain

Clear CMOS. Odds are when you installed additional RAM your motherboard automagically tweaked some sort of RAM timings/frequencies just a hair for the purpose of stability (ironically enough) since the more sticks of RAM you put into a system, the more difficult it is to get them all working at any given overclock (this is more common when people enter manual overclocks to their RAM then add more DIMM's). clearing CMOS should default the motherboard RAM configuration back to stock settings and you should be able to get in just fine. It could also be that during installation you may have knocked a fleck of dust or something into the DIMM slot, so take a soft brush and go over the slots one at a time and clean them out if the CMOS reset doesn't work.

Other than that, unplug the computer from the wall, wait 30, plug it back in. run sticks 1 at a time in the furthest slot to the right. hard to really suggest additional steps if you're unable to even enter the BIOS to fix anything, my money is on overtuned settings though, and a CMOS reset should fix everything. RAM is extremely unlikely to actually break anything other than RAM.

C

Chris D. Gardner

I'm thinking I'm having a compatibility issue with the RAM as well. The RAM I'm using is not on Asus's list. I'm going to try different RAM and test my power supply as well. I'm going to pull everything out of the case and reinstall the whole works. When I plug a single stick of RAM into any other slot than what the manual recommends, the computer will run, but will not boot. That may be the characteristic of this particular board, but it's the first one that I've run into like that. I haven't done any overclocking yet, but I have cleared the CMOS. A tech at ASUS said RAM compatibility could be the issue as well as the power supply.

C

Chris D. Gardner

Well gang, I appreciate everyone's input, but the mystery is solved as to what was going on with my recent build. It wasn't the memory, power supply or the mother board. It was one screw that went into one of the standoffs below the motherboard. It was creating a short between the board and the case. I removed the screw and everything works perfectly! This is an Asus Zenith X399 board. The screw in question was right underneath the 1080ti GPU, so it was inaccessible until I took everything apart. I don't know if the MOBO wasn't manufactured quite right concerning the screw hole, but the problem is fixed and this machine is a beast!

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom