Contact advertising [email protected]

Hey guys, I have a wee problem and was wondering if anyone could help me out.. I have...

J

John Broderick

Hey guys, I have a wee problem and was wondering if anyone could help me out.. I have a rampage 3 MB with a i7 CPU .. about a month ago while i was using it the screen went blue and before i could read the error msg the system shut down. So i went to turn it back on, the PSU started up, fans started up but nothing else happened ... I took it to a repair place in Tokoroa and they said they couldn't tell me what was wrong (weather it was the MB or CPU cause they had nothing to test it on) so they gave back (in pieces) .. any ideas? suggestions? After i figure out how to put it back together again lol

R

Rob Mckee

If you don't even see a bios screen id be saying it's the mobo at fault. I "think " if It was gfx you would still see the post screen and then you would get a blank screen. Though can't be sure as it's never happened to me

G

Gerben Feenstra

Try running the bare minimum, disconnect all drives and their cables from the mobo, remove extra add-on cards like soundcards, video editting cards etc. and external peripherals. The only thing you need to test is: 1 ramstick, a videocard, keyboard, mouse and monitor.

Try ram-sticks one-by-one, and another power supply and videocard if you can get your hands on those (Performance doesn't matter, as long as it gives you a display-signal). Try another monitor even. And even disconnect your case-wires if all else fails (reset, powerbutton, usb-ports. You can jumpstart your pc by shorting the powerpins with a screwdriver, check the manual).

If you're lucky to regain a display-signal you start adding ram-modules and exchange your own parts one-by-one again until it fails again. You should be able to pinpoint the problem this way.

You gonna have to turn on/off many times, so it's better to press the normal powerbutton 4 seconds (or short the pins 4 seconds) rather than using the hard powerbutton on the back.

Also check your mobo if it has any led-indicators that might indicate what's wrong (check mobo manual). Some mobo's also give beeping-signals to indicate what part is failing.

Also, listen closely to your mobo if you can hear any hissing that might be caused by faulty capacitors. Replacing capacitors is difficult but not impossible in (roughly estimated) 50% of the cases. (although modern mobo's use less and less traditional capacitors).

It's possible of course, but CPU's rarely die, especially nowadays as they all have failsafes for overheating.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom