Contact advertising [email protected]

Hello, What do you think, what made Overwatch so popular? As far as I can remember I...

A

Armand Bozsik

Hello,

What do you think, what made Overwatch so popular?

As far as I can remember I did not ask this question here before, so, please tell me your opinion on the topic. I did not want to make a poll about this due to the fact that would just leash the trail of thoughts I think.

I have an opinion, I just do not want to disclose it yet - I know, I know it is not the nicest thing to do but - first, I would like to hear yours! :)

Thanks!

A

Adam Al-Jamali

Flashy, fast paced, characters have lots of personality, even the robots, ethnically diverese characters representing their countries, easy to play, hard to master, creative character design, and nice lore.

J

Jessica Aldrich

Blizzard seems to be really good at making characters people love and can identify with and making you feel like a hero. I say this coming into the OW fandom from World of Warcraft and that's the feeling I get from across both of those games. When I play I'm not some rando gun dude getting kills, I'm god damn DVa international super leet star or I'm motherfucking Junkrat about to blow up allllllll this shit rn. There was a cool video on YouTube about the care they put into character design down to the way the screen bounces differently when you walk and how they reload etc I'll see if I can find it.

Another parallel is the way they hit that 'reward' system in your brain, like it's down to a science. Both games do it in different ways. In OW you have those loot boxes when you level, that "dink" when you get headshots, that "aww helllll yisss" when you get PotG or a card. I live for that shit lol

V

Vynyl Shiro

Tracer's ass pissed off a lot of people and that just made the popularity skyrocket.

C

Cal Nabokov

An enormous advertising budget, their own production company for the animations, cross promotion through their other games, the money to hire the best people in the business, a lot of experience creating communities, and a lot of experience pushing everybody else out of their space.

A

Ashley Demyan

It’s a really forgiving shooter and looks like a Pixar movie.

A

Andre Uva

Well besides the gameplay, and aspect of the game, what I think REALLY sells, is the diversity, at least 35% of the ground this game stands on, is the community of SJW and weebs

D

Dusty Crow

Attractive characters, relatable characters for everyone weather you're black white a weeb a edgy emo or a monkey, easy to get kills, simple but complex.

J

James Reed-moretz

Really don’t see the selling point of the game minus it’s huge marketing budget and the blizzard name

J

Jodi Szowcsuk

The assortment of characters to play, literally a toon for everyones play level and rhe character detail and backstory aka the fact that its a BLIZZARD game. A lot of wow fankids here too ;)

A

April Christine Thompson

The memes is what got me

T

Trent Edwards

Blizzards reputation is clean and the cinematics got people hyped

T

Trent Edwards

Even before we knew it was overwatch people were excited when they heard blizz was announcing a new ip

A

Armand Bozsik

To all:

Absolutely fantastic answers, thank you! :)
Vynyl Shiro lol, good one. :D

Ashley

Well, at this point your opinion seems to be the closest one to mine. :)
I think the relativity of death is the key in the topic. Most FPSs try to depict the horror of death as realistically as possible or even try to push our threshold to the farthest with unique techniques and presentation (To be honest, the new Wolfenstein was too much for me sometimes, apart from that it was a great game that is a fact which cannot be questioned. :p)

While in Overwatch the same happens but without explicit violence and by the story being set in a world where unspeakable monstrosity took place (just think of the omnic crisis and how did we get there) it turns the characters and the humor which beams from the game itself more valuable, but the most important is that the characters - most of them - could remain true to their own identity.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom