Contact advertising [email protected]

Evidently there is an issue with hyperthreading that was discussed on the Debian...

J

John Headen

Evidently there is an issue with hyperthreading that was discussed on the Debian Mailing List Advisory. This could be significant if not patched quickly because it results in data corruption, loss, or system instability. They suggest right now that disabling hyperthreading in the bios is the safest solution for now. I doubt this will remain an issue for long though.

M

Matyas Drtina

How legit is this?

J

John Headen

It looked like it was from a debian forum. The actual listing is in the article.

P

Paul Bellware

It looks like it was patched in April or an attempt to patch it was made.

H

Harold Giroux

does it effect Devil's Canyon i7 CPU's ???

C

Clayton Zeimet

Glad I got a Ryzen :p

D

Devi Prasad

Any cpu can have issue , ryzen hve just started theres already latency thing and other crash issues reported by some users

M

Micah Morris

whats funny is when you have HT on the thread will only ever utilize 50% of the core's capability. what we did with the Xeons at my place of work was we turned it off to increase the performance per single thread. we went from capping at 50% to getting about 70% at peak load

N

Nano Parx

Note that this only applies to the microcode used for Debian-based linux distros (not sure about other distros) and they have been working on this since april so likelihood dictates that it's fixed now. If you're running Windows, you should be fine if you have a Skylake or Kaby Lake CPU.

T

Tayler Vest

this is also coming from debian users and may not be as common of a problem for windows

D

Daniel Nathan Ford

Good thing I got a 6600k

S

Sander Westerberg

First you couldn't overclock, now you can't even utiilize HT lol

K

Kuba Unpostblocked

So firstly 7700k reaching 80c on idle, no ability to OC, now no hyperthreading. Boy am i glad that I'm still using a haswell i5

A

Andrew Walker

So how would we fix this? Would it require a whole bios update?

B

Bliv AK

This is nonsense. This seems to stem from linux. Really Linux AGAIN? Yes yes, they claim it affects all OSes but the information is so vague. OP please explain what this issue is in lame-man terms.
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

J

John Headen

Why are you saying Linux again? Linux is used in a lot of servers and some desktops as well. The issues were already discussed in basic terms in the story. I also stated that it would probably wouldn't be an issue for long though, unlike when someone posted a similar story regarding a bug and Ryzen.

A

Adhaar Pahuja

Stupid melodramatic post. Not for windows.

S

Shamie-Ray Samuel Ramsamuj

I don't think there is a person within 50kms of me that uses Linux.

J

John Headen

You'd probably be wrong Shamie-Ray Samuel Ramsamuj. Linux is being used all around you.

A

Alex Ene

what kind of data corrruption?

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom