Contact advertising [email protected]

Switch Mobile phone components are in extreme demand, namely the NAND flash storage required...

• Thread starter Derek Strickland
  • Start date
D

Derek Strickland

Mobile phone components are in extreme demand, namely the NAND flash storage required for any mobile device--and hard drives to boot.

I outline some of the major hurdles Nintendo may face with Switch production based on The Wall Street Journal's recent report, and posit that the Nintendo Switch may soon cost more than $299 to offset the high cost of key components.

But there may be a silver lining: GlobalFoundries, the third top global chip-maker, wants to massively increase its chip sales to Japan. Depending on its current production contracts, this could be a boon for Nintendo.

C

Carlos Silva

I approved this for the sake of discussion. Most wont read this entire article but to summarize they cite the Wall Street Journals unfounded report of 18 million units by March 2018 and blaming Apple, instead of all smartphone manufacturers which is the actual reason behind the shortage.

Also Claiming an increase in the cost of a Switch is hilariously wrong, Nintendo stated they woudln't be interested in taking a loss for each Switch produced in order to keep up with demand.

Finally the Chip maker GlobalFoundries is in direct competition to regain market share from the largest company in Japan, TSMC. Its speculation they would even consider changing their manufacturer after 3 million units have already been produced with the Toshiba NAND chips.

B

Brian Castleberry

I would be curious if you had any further sources to validate your claim Derek. I think it's an interesting topic of conversation. However after reading the entire article, I felt the original claim of a price hike was unsubstatiated. With a few more solid bits of proof, I think you may have a better case. Though thank you for the read.

P

Paul Rod

fake news

C

Carlos Silva

I just realized this article is written by you, Derek Strickland. Word of advice, dont cite WSJ on anything breaking news or rumors, they are horrible and speculate based on the tiniest of details. Paul Rod I'm with you

P

Peter Vazkey

Fake news

N

Naoto Pasas

Fake news

B

Brian Castleberry

Peter and Naoto can we keep it more constructive. You may not agree with the premise, but if you could keep your comments constructive, it would help to better articles such as this and give Derek feedback. I personally don't agree with is premise, but he doesn't deserve to be called "fake news".

G

Gary Harras

Fake news

N

Naoto Pasas

After review the article, I find nothing but facts & opinions-predictions key word is "may".. So I take back what I said about fake new and apologize.. just went off the header.

K

Katie Lazzelle-Baily

Glad I got mine already

S

Steve Stvo Jay

Yeah; don't see that happening. Aside from maybe a rare collector's edition console (I.e. PS4 modeled after original PlayStation, specialty Zelda 3DS, atomic green N64) going on eBay, has there ever been a time where a console on the market actually witnessed a price increase? I just don't see it happening.

The closest I can think of is Nintendo refusing to do a price drop for WiiU because it would lose money.

S

Spencer Miller

I doubt they will raise the price of the system but they will continue to be in short supply.

A

Andrew Troy Stott

Yeah that is bad business. Nintendo would sooner loose money on the console than increase price.

A

Aaron Briggs

Nintendo wont do that.

A

Adriaan Pronk

Long live preorders -.-

J

Joshua Pearl

Nice found someone new to block

C

Chris Bizarro

Click bait title award goes to...