Contact advertising [email protected]

For you IT gurus out there. Looking for a little help if possible. I have a hard wire...

C

Cody Rock

For you IT gurus out there. Looking for a little help if possible.

I have a hard wire to a switch downstairs that my fiancée and I both are connected to.
Whenever she isn't home I can play OW with 0 issue. She comes home and plays CoD and I'll get 4-5 disconnects in a 4 hour span.
We have about 250 MB down and 20 Up. My pc doesn't lose internet. Just kicks me off OW. I have a network latency tracker and it doesn't spike or post a network drop either. It kicks my girl out of her Ps4 party and game though for a split second.
I'm honestly clueless as to a reason since I can't duplicate the issue reliably.

M

Matthew Willis

This may seem sarcastic.... Have you tried plugging into different ports on the switch, as well as turned the switch, router, and gaming systems off for 10 seconds and back on again? Also, who is your ISP (internet service provider)

C

Cody Rock

Isp is Comcast. I've powered on and off the switch and router. I have not changed the ports we're plugged into on the switch. I wouldn't think the port itself had anything to do with it since both are going down. Not always simultaneously either. It's her then me and sometimes it is both at the same time.

M

Matthew Willis

And you've done speed tests to confirm that you are actually getting what you're paying for? It's Comcast so it's possible you're not. Also, run a test when both are open. One might be sucking too much bandwidth and it's causing the network to die

C

Cody Rock

I've ran with both are on and off. Always above 175 and 15 ping.

M

Matthew Willis

It's odd because the issue seems like either a hardware issue or internet spike. With the PS4 losing internet too, it could be that the ISP is throttling your net (or just happens to be shit lol)... Is your latency tracker attached to the switch or modem? My first real suggestion would be to take the PS4 and PC and run them both on the router instead of the switch for as long as possible. Try to see if there are any drops from the router itself. If not, it could be your switch.

C

Cody Rock

My tracker is on my computer. It tracks my connection and alerts and tracks any drops in connection. I never get an alert when it happens cause it's only OW that boots me off.

Our router is upstairs and I have a 50 foot cable through some walls and floors to our downstairs. I'm unable to run two cables without drilling larger holes so I'm trying to not do that. The switch was like 15$ but honestly I don't see how even a cheap one would cause this issue. I'm honestly stumped.

M

Matthew Willis

Well loss of internet due to bandwidth saturation may not necessarily be the issue. Unfortunately, the only way to confirm that it isn't either the wiring that was done, or the cheaper switch, is to go directly to the source. If they drop OW or PS4 connection when directly plugged in, the issue is then pinpointed to either just your router or ISP itself in some way. If it doesn't drop even after prolonged use, it would show that the switch would likely be the problem. While a pain in the ass to buy two short cables and move an entire setup downstairs to test, in some cases it could be the only way.

ALTERNATIVELY, you could take the chance of a bit of wasted money and buy a new, possibly upgraded switch, and see if that fixes the issues. Cheaper switches can only do so much before they start getting tired and dying, and those systems can be hell on them. I know, I've killed many myself LOL.

M

Matthew Sartain

Switch could have some built in functionality to ensure stability across the loads which is affecting y'all

C

Cody Rock

The switch was some cheap one at best buy. The only one they had. Actually.. Now that I sit here and think about it with yall. I have a spare router I'm not using. Could just run the cable into the router rather than the switch and see what happens!

M

Matthew Willis

Like the other Matthew said.... what model is the current switch?

C

Cody Rock

M

Matthew Willis

Yeah, thats not a bad switch actually. Was it new or used

C

Cody Rock

New. Only one at best buy.

M

Matthew Willis

It could be your ISP tbh. Or even worse, could be the cabling in the walls. Any damage anywhere would do it. Someone proficient with a toner could trace it to make sure the wires are good.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom