Contact advertising [email protected]

* BIOS Flashing * When is it necessary/optimal to flash the BIOS? I'm running a dual...

J

Johnny Naro

* BIOS Flashing *

When is it necessary/optimal to flash the BIOS? I'm running a dual boot (Windows/OS X) & I don't wanna upgrade my BIOS because of compatability issues. I'm currently at F4 & would like to stay there until absolutely necessary. Could I flash it with the same F4 instead of upgrading? I've never flashed it and just wondering what it does exactly. Is it a complete wipe of your CPU? Also, side note if anyone knows the answer to this. I have about 13 boot options in my BIOS, and I only use the first one. Is there a way of removing all the other entries? Not disabling them, but removing them permanently? Thanks everyone!

N

Nitin Misra

Your boot options are all pointing to the same drive. Makes no difference leaving it that way.

N

Nitin Misra

No clue with what you mean by F4. Maybe someone else can help you with that

N

Nitin Misra

Flashing bios does not wipe your hard drives

N

Nitin Misra

It’s necessary to flash bios when new hardware comes out. Technology advances fast, sometimes new hardware won’t be compatible with your motherboard without a BIOS update. For instance z270 chipset was released before Kaby Lake. When Kaby Lake CPU came out, I had to flash my bios for the CPU to become compatible.

Only update BIOS when this happens to you. Otherwise it is not necessary.

In some cases flashing your bios will not solve your compatibility issue, such as using a z270 with a Coffee lake processor

N

Nitin Misra

With all this being said, what makes you think you need to update your BIOS?

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom