Contact advertising [email protected]

Wise PC enthusiasts: What CPU would be a sensible decision for an HTPC dedicated only...

V

Víctor Deneb

Wise PC enthusiasts:

What CPU would be a sensible decision for an HTPC dedicated only to play 1080p video (on Kodi) and streaming video to other devices simultaneously?

I'll set it with 4GB of RAM, 7200rpm HDD, and maybe a small SSD for boot and smooth responsiveness. Connected to a Gigabit switch.

I'd like to read any kind of suggestions.

R

Ryn Knze

They make awesome android boxes for that with expandable micro SD storage. That would cover 90% of what you're talking about. It would also be the smallest form factor by far.

R

Ryn Knze

Something like an S912 8 core with 3gb ram and an ethernet port and USB ports for storage/keyboard/mouse will run you $130 or so.

M

Marc Wolfe

An i3 or Ryzen 3 should do fine.

M

Marc Wolfe

*cough* Sensible.

V

Víctor Deneb

Hahaha, that's it, I meant sensible.

A

Adam Van Der Breggen

if you want, id do it the way i did and use the server as the source of the videos then use your computer to play them, transcoding is really really hard and expensive for HD

D

Dennis Barbier

if youre not going to transcode, it doesnt take much. My main HTPC is an i3 3rg gen but for years and years I ran a core2 quad and 2gb of ram. HTPC doesnt require much power unless you start talking about also using it as a plex server to transcode multiple 4k streams.

if you were going to brand new id probably grab a low end amd apu, unless you want 4k playback .

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom