Contact advertising [email protected]

Switch What if Nintendo Switch's Virtual Console doesn't arrive until 2018? Perhaps that's...

• Thread starter Derek Strickland
  • Start date
D

Derek Strickland

What if Nintendo Switch's Virtual Console doesn't arrive until 2018?

Perhaps that's why Nintendo is releasing the SNES Mini this year, because no Virtual Console support until next year?

If Nintendo released the SNES Mini as well as Virtual Console on the Switch this year, then the two would directly compete: everyone would want to buy the SNES Mini with its multiple games instead of buying VC games piecemeal at $7.99.

Of course you could argue that the same thing happened last year with the NES Mini, which includes games available on the Wii U and 3DS eShop.

This is just me thinking out loud, but it has me worried!

R

Rocco Bennett

Id be angry

D

David Storey

My guess is there will be a limited run on SNES minis like there was with the NES mini, meaning most people won't get one so there'd still be a market for people to buy games (again) on the Virtual Console.

J

Jason Smyth-Chandler

Did I miss the SNES mini being officially announced?

S

Steve Stvo Jay

It's possible but I think they'll get it out this year. Maybe they'll hold back on SNES titles for Switch's VC until the SNES mini-hype dies down and they'd focus more on the NES/Genesis/other classic consoles so they could release both the VC and SNES

J

Justin Rogers

I'd be surprised if they don't get it out for the holiday season. I think that's when they'll really start to push the switch, and having virtual console available is really important for that.

P

Paul Rod

*SNES Classic

H

Harmen Aerts

did you miss the online subscription service anouncement?

D

Daniel Garcia

I don't think there is going to be a traditional virtual console for the Switch.

B

Bora Chreng

Hopefully Nintendo really is developing an SNES mini. It'll be like the early 90s all over again, with Atgames' upcoming revised Genesis console!

S

Spencer Miller

The SNES mini will be the NES mini all over again. I bet virtual console will be released before hand to give Nintendo time to add titles. I hope it's not just exclusive to people who pay.

A

Adrian Williams

Yea releasing the snes doesn't make sense with the VC releasing... unless the VC won't contain SNES games. I'd be interested if the VC started at 64 and went up to Wii. Then the classic minis would make sense

A

Aaron Briggs

Well they could release VC at anytime. The online page specifically says it will offer classic games with online functions that could totally mean they will be pulling games from the VC library and retooling them to have online versions.

T

Tim Ceaser

I'm not even going to bother if they come out with an snes mini. by cancelling the nes classic nintendo showed that they did not want my money. the snes mini will mainly be bought by scalpers and people willing to spend 300 dollars on one. so no thank you, unless nintendo actually makes enough of them, but this seems unlikely.

A

Aaron Briggs

To be honest I will be blown away if there is a snes classic, tear downs and licensing costs on several YouTube streamers including spawn wave deemed it hardly profitable if any. The classic was a clear move to get people interested in Nintendo and not forgotten until they get the switch out. If the snes classic does happen to be a thing I bet it will sell for a lot more then 60$ retail.

D

Daniel Rasmussen

SNES mini is just a rumour at this point.

K

Kurtis Stoddard

That is a good point about the SNES mini delaying the virtual console but honestly I think they would both succeed if released simultaneously.

J

Jason Cramer

Play all the virtual console games on my Wii U :)

T

Terry Garrett Elder

A lot of people who aren't broke asses/cheap will play games on the SNES Classic and buy their favorites to take on the go on Switch. Some people don't stress over $8.

L

Lee A. Fletcher

I'd buy both. You'd buy both. We'd all do both.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom