D

Danward Bautista

What are the risk of overclocking gpu?

J

Jacob Glueck

Depends how far you push it.

N

Nicklas Ebling Levy Jensen

If its a nvidia pascal GPU there's basically no risk.

J

Jacob T. Wetzel

Well thermals is going to be your number 1 concern, keep it cool and look up successful OC on your GPU and get a good number to try and hit. Then start pushing her. Gradually. If she dont post after a crash or 1st time boot dont freak, just bring it back down to a safer level, stock if needed. Small OC will handle just fine, but be careful on how far you go, killing the card is the worst result and NO ONE on earth wants that.
To be clear im not a OC expert but I did just push my RX550 Up to 1403

H

Hans Becker

Nothing unless you unlock the voltage and crank it up too high.

P

Paweł Piwowar

Will be honest this is not the time of Pentium 2 :) it is not that easy to damage doing OC ( unless you want to damage intentionally ), too much overvoltage protection, and BIOS always inform you when you set some crazy setting. From many years, I never have a problem with OC many CPU, GPU or memory. Old times yes Duron CPU burn like hell ( sometimes ) :p Riva TNT same, this is the time when people afraid name BIOS, like something scary and bad. But always best protection in OC against damage is .... your brain and common sense.

M

Mike Myers

Pretty much no risk as most modern gpus will crash if you push them too far

R

Ryan Bloch

probably none

R

Reed Corpuz

1080dB

G

Ganesh Kulal

Sometime causes display crashes etc.

C

Cory J Dein

Being uneducated is the biggest risk.

L

Larry Watson

Overheating.

J

Jethro Albay

new cpu cooler and psu is the solution, but it depends on your mobo and processor

M

Matt Boxall

Done mine yesterday. Just make sure u take the fans out of auto.

R

Richard Philips

if stay away from increasing the voltages no risks, except pc crashing

M

Michael Braddy

Possibly Overheating, artifacts, games freeze randomly, possibly getting louder, uses more power, and could shorten the life of the gpu. But hey deem extra 5-10fps doe.

R

Richard Philips

I don't Overclock myself the disadvantages outweigh the extra fps, sure it works most of the time, but sometimes your just lock up a game and lose progress

M

Matt Boxall

I used the self oc mode then took off 10 from each setting. So it's under what the card recommends as a oc but above stock :) stable and cool. While gaming the hottest was 63 and I have the Asus r9 390x oc which is a hot card. Seems to be happier being slightly over clocked. Also since upgrading to 1440 also seems to run better than 1080. Strange one that.

J

Jeremy Smith

What card? I'm pushing my GPU as hard as I can and no issues still running under 60C. I'm running the 1050ti OC edition and I'm way beyond the factory OC on it.

R

Raphael Matthew Santiago

Im sure theres a safety feature for most of the cards and that is "crashing" before anything bad happens. I dont know all of the risks of overclocking except shortening its life and voiding the warranty. and a card's overclocking capabilities depends on its model, mine can usually take brutal tortures because its a FTW card.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom