Contact advertising [email protected]

My PC keeps shutting down when its hot in the room and I need help finding out why....

• Thread starter Austin Bellefeuille
  • Start date
A

Austin Bellefeuille

My PC keeps shutting down when its hot in the room and I need help finding out why. Almost always under heavy load no matter what settings the game is on. Im pretty sure its a temperature problem since I could just turn the air conditioner (AC cooled PC>Water cooled) and it would almost never shut down. Now that its almost December and its cold, we took the AC out and now it stays on for about 15 minutes under load. Are these temperature jumps normal? Bought 2 extra fans for it and installed them, made no difference though. Are these temperature jumps normal? CPU is about 1 and a half years old, using the stock fan that it came with but I don't think that's the issue. Motherboard and CPU temps stay normal. Is my PC just reading false high temps and shutting it down? Let me know what tests/logs I need to add please

S

Scott Trombley

I see a lot of processes (18 or so) you do not need - and also how many cores do you have and have you opened all of them up and or how many are left in case some have already burnt out. (the lesser cores being used and or are open can effect the game-play and heat up the small amount of cores being used.)

Fun Fact:
Your Pc is set to default mode on how many cores your pc is using, and almost never uses all of the cores your CPU has on hand. (so your brain power is never at 100%)

Example:
If you have a big work load, open web browser, movie running, and more but only have 2-4 cores open out of 8 or 16 you could force your pc to use the remaining cores which would take the pressure off of the other ones being used. (like a V8 engine - you will be using all the cylinders)

When is the last time u updated the OS and GPU along w/ drivers, and also what programs are running in the background while your PC is running may also effect why your PC is heating up.

S

Scott Trombley

I would also check on what programs are running in your background, this could pose a threat on your pc heating up faster or cores being used on other processes you are not even using.

S

Scott Trombley

You can also change the affinity value on which process can use on X amount of cores - so processes which are not important enough you can set property on low and also just dedicate 1 core to it instead of all 8.
(sadly this is a Manuel job - and also is reset after you are done for the night) - it allows you to free up cores and speed up other processes

J

Josh Cooper

You may want to check your power supply. If you feel comfortable taking it apart then I would suggest to look for swollen/leaking capacitors. If not, they are relatively inexpensive.

S

Scott Trombley

Are you Overclocking the CPU or is it still in factory setting, and what kind of ram did you installed. (have you OC the ram or GPU)

What GPU do you have installed - and how much watts does it take up, and also how much power can your PSU handle...sometimes if you have to much junk in the trunk the power could be weakened enough to cause issues. (issues could lead to the system shutting off at random, motherboard burning out, PSU burning or making sounds, etc..) - do you have an SSD or regular HD or both - if your PC over heats to much you may end up doing more harm to your HD then you think....(melted my HD when attempted to oc my CPU - fan ended up dying and the pc heated up and fried the HD)

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom