Contact advertising [email protected]

ive come into possession of a i7 4770k but on a dodgey z87 board. can i use a z97 with...

J

JJ Risk

ive come into possession of a i7 4770k but on a dodgey z87 board. can i use a z97 with this cpu? noob question, but i gotta ask. what boards would you reccomend? i see this socket is still asking lots of money online, both 87 and 97

M

Marc Bourgoin

Heyyo, yes you can use that CPU on Z97. It's usually the other way around that can have compatibility issues unless a BIOS update is performed ahead of time with a previous gen CPU

ie, i7-4790k on a Z87 board... or in my case, my i7-3770K on a Z68 board. Had to ask a friend with a i5-2500K to do the BIOS update for me before I could use the mobo that I got a deal on. :p

D

Dave Steven Edwards

Its a socket 1150 CPU, you can chuck it on any Z97 board

J

JJ Risk

nice, im looknig around at asus maximus hero vi and formula in z87. looks like a solid borard, but still selling for $200 minimum in australia. JESUS

J

JJ Risk

thanks guys, looks like my i5 3570 is getting put into the legacy pile... haha

M

Marc Bourgoin

Yeah that's the shitty part about motherboards... they go up in price once they get discontinued... probably because they're the least reliable part in a PC behind HDD's imo... CPU prices drop good though as I've found them to be the most reliable part heh

J

JJ Risk

thoguhts on this board??
You do not have permission to view link Log in or register now.

J

JJ Risk

side note; yes i should be saving for my ryzen build, but why not both .gif???

J

JJ Risk

or this

D

Dave Steven Edwards

I always quite liked this board tbh;

J

JJ Risk

im suprised these z97 boards have m.2 slots... this makes things interesting

J

JJ Risk

Next Q; mSata. Worth it? I have a western digital green ssd ATM

B

Beau Fairbrother

Looove my mobo

C

Craig Etienne

Not @1080. and not @4.2+ oc