Contact advertising [email protected]

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me the difference between thermal margin and cpu temp?...

B

Ben Collins

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me the difference between thermal margin and cpu temp? Thermal margin on amd overdrive is showing everything looks normal and then speccy is showing my temperature around 80°c. I'm not sure what the difference is and shpuld I be worried?

D

Dan Bill

Is this under any load?

P

Peter Egan

thermal margin is the ammount of degrees away from the Max cpu temp..

B

Ben Collins

No, just those two applications open. Nothing else. I have seen temperature reach 94°c but pc didn't shut off or no warnings. I've seen things online about false readings and I'm wondering could that be the case?

P

Peter Egan

dont trust speccy at all

P

Peter Egan

especcially with amd cpu's lol

B

Ben Collins

HWinfo gives pretty much same temps as well through

P

Peter Egan

trust amd overdrive. 54.5c means your cpu is 54.5c away from max temp. if your cpu's max temp is 100c than your current cpu temp is 45.5c... but i think fx cpu's max is 90c.

P

Peter Egan

check google for that

P

Peter Egan

also dont trust any other program than overdive when dealing with old apu's of fx..

B

Ben Collins

It's actually amd a4 6300. I've seen max temp listed as 72°c

P

Peter Egan

they dont have a normal thermal sensor

B

Ben Collins

But my cpu is always above that if I'm doing anything at all

P

Peter Egan

well take 54.5c off that and you will know what your cpu temp is :) i'm bad at math lol

B

Ben Collins

So I've been worried about temperature for no reason lol

P

Peter Egan

yep

P

Peter Egan

its all good

B

Ben Collins

I've had it a month and honestly thought it was a bad apu. This is my first ever build so extra paranoid lol

P

Peter Egan

nah i love apu's . used them alot. but i know normal temp programs dont work, coretemp also doent work.. its cause those chips dont hve normal sensors like intel, they use a complex algorithem to calculate cpu temp. but at idle speed and low temps it is VERY unaccurate.. like all over the place.. but at load and higher temps its way more accurate than intels normal sensors.. many people dont know this lol

B

Ben Collins

Well that's great to know. I've been looking online for weeks now and I keep seeing mixed opinions on them and multiple things that could be wrong. To be honest though a lot of websites did say that they give inaccurate readings all the time

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom