Contact advertising [email protected]

Being a "pro gamer" is based on whether or not you make substantial money from gaming...

M

Mike Icon

Being a "pro gamer" is based on whether or not you make substantial money from gaming and is not directly related to how skilled a person is. An unskilled player can still be a "pro gamer."

Discuss.

K

Kim Evans

Eh, I'd call em endorsed gamer of they're bad but get paid loads. Pro's reserved for pro's.

M

MacKenzie Rae

Agreed.

W

Walter Greenwood

Being a pro gamer is when you’re on a professional team

W

Walter Greenwood

Kephrii isn’t a pro even tho he’s a god

W

Walter Greenwood

And makes bank from this game

T

Tommy Jay III

I agree with your overall sentiment

T

Tommy Jay III

but i've shit on all of your favorite streamers while they were live

M

Mercy Althea Ang

I think it can be split into two categories:

The professional competitive gamer is when you can compete with the professionals and get sponsors based off of the success of performing in a tournament.

And then there's the professional commercial gamer who entertains the masses with not just skill (or lack thereof) but also humor or being able to interact with the audience and keep them coming back for more and donating some money to support them.

But that's just how I see it. Both can be pros, but in different categories; kind of how you can be called a genius but it can vary on if you're a book smart genius or a genius in another area.

J

Juan Negron

You can be a pro at anything. Even if you dont have skill you can be an "elite gamer". Lets say youre as good as the Korean OW pros. You have the skills. The difference is one pro is paid and the other is not. It doesnt matter if your skills are amazing in anything, especially a game. If youre not earning money or experience you can put on a resume. It becomes a non profit hobby, a fun waste of time, in the end youre a pro hobbyist while the other is not celebrating a hobby. They are a paid professional who earns a living off the time they invest

C

Cosmos Cha

No.

E

Enrique Sandoval

You have to have skills and have to be paid for it. By your definition some twitch streamer who gets bank but sucks would be considered a pro.

W

Will Logan

uhh no

P

Peter Gomez

I disagree.

P

Peter Gomez

You can be a hyper popular streamer or gamer but you arent necessarily a pro gamer. Such a thing is reserved for the best of the best.

E

Essam Ahmad

This is so stupid, don't make statements based on assumptions. No professional team will pick you up if you play bad, they have try outs and if you manage to play really good on these try outs, then they might give you a chance. Pro players are on a whole another level, Gm and masters players don't even come close to them.

A

Anna Vasiliadi

No. Making money off games doesn't make you a pro, it simply means that you earn money by playing, which makes gaming your "job". Pro players are the people on the top of the ladder who have mastered all or most skills such as awareness, reflexes, aiming, timing etc.

M

Mike Icon

The definition of "professional" says:

1. relating to or connected with a profession.
2. (of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

So, by definition, a "professional gamer" is one who games as their main paid occupation (rather than a pastime). Skill can help one achieve this goal but skill is not a necessity to be a professional.

J

Jay Vishwanath

Eh...idk.
To me a pro gamer = a gamer who plays games professionally in tournaments and the like to make money, or plays on a team of such people to meet the same goal.

Either that, or it's just a general, slang term used for someone who is skilled at the game, but this is a rather loose definition to me.

R

Rose Rend

Unless you're picked up by a team then I'd say no.

In the same way athletes need to be picked up by a team to be pro.

Contact advertising [email protected]
Top Bottom